AUDIENCE ANALYSIS: ARE YOU LOYAL TO EACH OTHER WITH YOUR T.V AND RADIO?
Media content is far much intangible as compared to other products. The paradigm of the understanding of the audience differs with personality;thus one person’s understanding of a topic may differ with another’s. In this regard, interpretation of the media content varies among the audience giving rise to diverse types of audiences.
To know whether the media is loyal to you,you need to know the type of audience that you are and whether the media recognises you,and what it is doing about you. You need to gauge your loyalty to her.
1. PASSIVE VS ACTIVE AUDIENCE
Passive audience are those who receive media info but do not act on it. Active audience are participatory people who interact with the T.V or radio through calling in live and giving feedback.
2. PRIMARY VS SECONDARY AUDIENCE
Immediate audience receive information first hand from the radio or T.V. Secondary audience receive info from the immediate audience. The conversation normally starts as,”ulitazama habari jana?”
3. IMMEDIATE VS DISTANT AUDIENCE
Immediate audience are those being targeted by the broadcast production whereas distant audience are those who receive the info althought they were not the targets.
4. HOMOGENOUS VS HETEROGENOUS AUDIENCE
Homogenous audience exhibit similar demographic predispositions like age,gender and language. Heterogenous audience have different traits.
5. CRITICAL VS NON-CRITICAL AUDIENCES
Critical audience analyses and evaluates;noting the goods and bads of a production. Non-critical audience is not concerned with this.
6. RELIGIOUS VS SECULAR
Religious audience are those who are adamant on the respect of their religious ethos. Some are very critical,but they use their religious dogma to judge productions. Secular audience are not guided by any religious morals when making decisions regarding the production.
You now know the type of audience you are. Are you loyal to her?
The media owes you. How? #Hereafter I will refer to the media as she#
* She ought to respect the religious beliefs of her audience. You should not be compelled to consume info that contrasts your personal/religious beliefs.
* She should evaluate your literacy level and use the language of preference and understanding.#A research I am doing could reveal that The Times uses simpler language than The Standard,yet note the audience. Why? Find out soon.#
* She should establish your social-econo-political status and respect that;empowering and informing you on that line.
* Societal needs should be addressed.
* She owes you regard in spite of your demographic category.
* The second schedule of CAP 411B on media ethics should be upheld by the media.
Is the media loyal to you?